Friday, December 03, 2004

4/

Everyone in the world should at least try and read Sex, Drugs, and Coco Puffs. Just try.

It seems to me if Generation X was disenfranchised and angry, my generation is a bunch of escapist sissies. Being one of them, I feel I can say that without prejudice, but I don't know a single person without a dream. Not your typical American dream, nor your hope-and-aspiration type dream (and not your nocturnal vision type dream for all those of you too witty for your own good), but rather a scheme. We've all got a plan. Yet in the same sense, ours plans are catastrophically impractical, and only plausible enough to believe. For example, take mine. When life shits on me, I'm moving to a cabin in the woods. It doesn't matter that I loathe bugs and the very idea of country bumpkins gives me the shivers, it's the romance of the idea. I want solitude. I want to believe that I can live so deep in the woods that horrible things can't happen. Along those lines, most of my friends (and I occasionally) know exactly how we're going to get rich. We lay it out, it always makes sense, but in our genuine love for the sheer idea of it, we sabotage any chance of its success. Or more appropriately, chicken out.

I'm not sure if this has deeper implications and in all fairness I haven't thought about it that long, but the reason I mention generations is that it seems to me we as an age-class have befallen an ageless stereotype: We're Lenny. That's right, from Of Mice and Men. And this make me wonder if our predecessors will try and kill us for our ignorance, or if it's the naivete itself that's going to get us in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home